We are coming up here on the second Advent season in a lot of years where I’m not in the pulpit. I remember after preaching about a dozen years of Advent/Christmas messages feeling the well was a bit dry. How many more ways can the story be told, afresh? Maybe there are pastors out there who will benefit from 21 of the Advent message series I preached over the years. Maybe God will again touch something here with inspiration for your pulpit work this season.
Are You Expecting? 1994
Tangled in the Tinsel 1995
Celebrate the Gift 1996
All I Want For Christmas 1997
It’s A Wonderful Life 1998
A Time For Joy 1999
All Is Calm 2000
God of Wonders 2001
Dark Streets Shineth 2002
Everlasting Joy vs. Xmas Cheer 2004
Narnia/ Always Winter, Never Christmas 2005
Hopes and Fears 2006
Wish List 2007
Desire of Nations 2008
Happy Holiness 2012
Stump of Jesse 2013
Holy Days 2014
Each series was 3-5 messages, usually four plus a message for Christmas Eve. Here’s a link to an excel spreadsheet which will give individual message titles and scripture texts for each message in the series. I have manuscripts for each also, I think, if you’d want a peek at any of them – borrow freely from anything I have. For most of them we have artwork also, but you’d have to figure out how to crop out our church name.
Here’s an example of how I promoted a series and laid it out:
Here are some of the big ideas which are behind this series FORETOLD: A Prophetic Christmas…
- People today are hungry for prophetic insight
- God does nothing without first revealing it to his servants the prophets (Amos 3:7)
- Prophets foretold Jesus’ first coming with specifics and detail
- Many missed Jesus’ first coming in part because they were prophetically-challenged.
- Jesus’ Second Coming is foretold and therefore we need to immerse ourselves in the prophetic revelation of his Second Coming or we’ll miss that too.
- Last weeks message: Is There a Star to Follow?, Genesis 49:10
- This weeks message: The Due Date on Advent’s Calendar, Daniel 9:20-27